Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Halacha and Arizal

The following is a transcript I wrote from memory about 2 weeks after I spoke to Rav Shapiro regarding various topics including whether I should publish my sefer Daas Torah. He was very generous with his time and very patient with my questions and poor Hebrew. I added footnotes to clarify what the issues were. This transcript was never reviewed or approved by Rav Shapiro and he obviously should not be responsible for my limited understanding and recall. I thought it was appropriate to publish on the day of his levayah 


4 comments :

  1. Rav Ovadiah Yosef ztl disagrees with the notion that we always go with the Arizal. of course Arizal was excellent, but there are other poskim, and there's the shulchan t.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did he say and where is your source?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My source is my memory -
    The question was why or if he ever paskens differently from the Arizal, and he answered that the Arizal was only one posek, and that the mesorah has many other poskim as well, so why only follow the Ari?
    This is well known, in that he was trying to return to the Shulchan Aruch and disagree with Ben Ish Hai on paskening like Arizal. Even the nusach of his siddur is slightly different from that of the Ben Ish Hai followers, eg Rav Mordechai Eliahu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Source at bottom of page
    https://dafaleph.com/home/2016/7/18/halacha-and-kabbalah-part-4-when-kabbalah-supersedes-the-traditional-halacha

    ReplyDelete

ANONYMOUS COMMENTS WILL NOT BE POSTED!
please use either your real name or a pseudonym.